Friday, December 20, 2013

Thirty-Minute Workouts - Worth your Time?



When I first started hearing about High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and other short, intense 20-30 minute workout programs, I figured it was the next new marketing thing, sure to go the way of the Shake Weight and the ThighMaster. So are these shorter, intense programs really worth your time time? After working out consistently for the past year, doing a wide variety of Beachbody programs, I’ve concluded that it’s not just hype – these short, intense fitness programs really do work.

Last February, when I decided to get back into shape once and for all, I saw a commercial for Insanity - a workout program that’s billed as the toughest fitness program ever put on video. Now, I never buy things I see on TV. But, for some reason, I ordered the DVD program. When it arrived, I looked at the schedule, questioned what I was getting myself into, and got started. Insanity is no 30 minute workout plan. It’s extremely high intensity intervals, with workouts running from 40-60 minutes.  Over the course of four months, I pushed myself to the limit. At first, I couldn’t keep up at all. My knees hurt like hell and I injured my shoulder.  I got lucky, because my shoulder healed up, my knees got stronger, and at the end of two rounds of Insanity (4 months) I’d lost 18 pounds.

Don’t get me wrong – I loved the program and I still do. Longer programs like Insanity and P90X will whip you into shape, but for many people, intense programs that require up to an hour a day can be daunting. In hindsight, Insanity was probably not the best way to start a fitness habit from scratch.

At this point, I figured I deserved a break. Summer was coming, and with our schedule in July and August those one hour workouts were not going to happen. Lucky for me, the same trainer who developed Insanity (Shaun T) was about to release a 10 week, 25 minute a day program called Focus T25. This program promised that, by working out five days a week, for 25 minutes a day (with a double workout on one of the days), you could lose weight, and get into great shape. I was skeptical, but I figured it would help me maintain my weight loss over the summer. Then in the fall I could get back to my “real” workouts.

I was wrong. Even though the new T25 program didn’t have the crazy intensity of Insanity, it required 25 minutes of hard, focused work. Maintaining proper form is a key component of the program, to ensure that you get the full benefit of each exercise and avoid injury. I pushed myself harder, knowing that I only had to get through 25 minutes. After the ten week program was finished, I was surprised to see that I’d lost six more pounds. I’d taken before and after pictures, and the difference was crystal clear.

Twenty-five minute programs aren't easy. They're effective - but you have to commit to the schedule, put in the hard work, and eat right to see results. If you're short on time but ready to commit to a healthy lifestyle, they're a fantastic way to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment