Sunday, December 28, 2014

After the holidays, time to take stock...

I haven't exactly been living up to my blog's name. I've been focused on lots of things - my kids, my translation business, moving house, organizing the school craft fair... just the normal, every day stuff of life. I haven't stopped exercising - I started going to a kickboxing class, taking tennis lessons, and I'm doing my Beachbody videos several times a week. I've gained a few pounds, but not enough to make a difference in how my clothes fit.

I seem to have entered a new phase of my fitness journey without realizing it. When I first started (almost two years ago!) I was out of shape, 20+ pounds overweight, and exercise had taken a back seat to virtually everything else. At that point, I had to make fitness a central focus, so I could literally regain control over my body, achieve my weight loss goals and get in decent shape.

Once that was done, I had to make a choice - should I keep pursuing more challenging fitness goals, or work to maintain my fitness level and shift my focus to other things? Back in June, I found myself pulling back bit by bit, no longer chasing some "ideal" physique.

At the time, I didn't really think about why I was less focused on my fitness, but now I get it. Last summer, I was spending a lot of time working on math with the kids, traveling around, translating, visiting friends... so I had less time to think about my workouts. I did them, but I dabbled around, only doing the workouts that I felt like doing, not really following a schedule. For a Beachbody coach, this isn't exactly ideal. At a very real level, I felt I was letting people down.

On the other hand, I've realized that once I put good habits in place, fitness just became a part of what I "do". It doesn't have to be the center of my life - or yours - as long as you stay committed to the fundamentals. Working out still plays an important role in my weekly schedule (if I don't get my workouts in, I feel grumpy and bloated). But I feel like I have more mental energy - more focus - to take on other challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment