Monday, September 23, 2013

Staying on Track with Nutrition


I’m starting to understand how people lose a bunch of weight, and then gain it all back.

I have been working out religiously for almost seven months now, never missing a session. I even add in extra work from time to time. I admit, I’ve never been a calorie counter. Early on in this journey, I realized that I had no sense of portion control, and that I was eating way too many calories. It was a pretty easy fix – I started eating less food, limited myself to one serving at mealtime, and started making healthier choices. I bought more green leafy vegetables, lean meats and legumes. I incorporated protein shakes and recovery drinks into my diet as my workouts got more intense. And over a period of six months, I lost nearly 25 pounds and felt amazing.

A month ago, we moved to a town just outside of London. I’m still working out every day – that’s non-negotiable. But my day-to-day schedule is unpredictable, and as a result I’m eating much more than I should. I hate that stuffed, bloated feeling that I get when I overeat, but especially over the past few days I’ve been giving into every temptation. This morning, my scale put a warning shot over the bow – I’ve gained back 4 pounds over the last 10 days. After months of hard work to get the body I’ve always wanted, it’s been shocking how fast you can blow it by eating the wrong things.

This morning I woke up, determined to put things right. Over the next few days, I’m going to watch my portions, make better choices, and make sure I don’t have that bloated, overstuffed feeling any more. I want to nip this in the bud, before I have to write a blog post about having gained back everything I lost (and more). This is a lifestyle choice. Working out is at the heart of my wellness plan, but smart food choices are absolutely essential to success. I still don’t believe in diets, but I know that making the right food choices and holding fast against temptation will enable me to maintain what I’ve worked so hard to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment