Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Power of Accountability

Accountability is a powerful way to stay focused on what's important. In your career, at home, within your family - we are all answerable to someone. We all have certain responsibilities to carry out, and if we fail to live up to them we'll be called to answer for what we've done (or didn't do). While accountability doen't guarantee success, it is a powerful driver to get things done.

That's why accountability is such an important part of a fitness program. If you're working out all alone, day after day, there's a risk of boredom. You may feel isolated, because you don't have anyone who understands and supports what you're trying to do. Because of this, you are much more likely to quit your program and drift back into a sedentary lifestyle. So, no matter what you're doing to stay fit, I think it's important to find a community of like-minded people

There are lots of ways to create accountability. Some people go to the gym - they pay for a membership, enroll in classes and start going regularly. They'll arrange to meet friends at specific times, or attend the same classes each week, which keeps them accountable and moving forward. Other people may belong to a running club, a rowing team, or play basketball in the gym twice a week with friends. All of these things combine fitness with a sense of community, which is a critical factor in keeping people involved in their fitness program

Now, I've never had a gym membership that I actually used (in fact, I just quit my latest gym last week, after going there once). I've always had a hard time making myself go somewhere to exercise, because I always feel pressed for time.  That's why I used to run - because I was getting my workout done the minute I stepped outside the door. For the same reason, that's why I decided to start doing Insanity to get in shape. Just put the DVD in the player, and you're getting it done.

The problem with this approach is the apparent lack of community. When you're doing a home video program, it's often just you and your TV (though I was lucky and had the support of some great friends). The workouts are fantastic and you can achieve a very high level of fitness - but if you don't have support and accountability, you aren't as likely to continue with the program.

That's a big reason that I decided to become a Beachbody coach. When I started Insanity I joined an on-line group, and started posting each day to stay accountable.  But for me, that wasn't enough - so I signed on as a coach and started working to build my own community, to focus on nutrition and working out safely.  Now, we have a Team Beachbody message board and a Facebook group of nearly 50 strong - all working together on our personal fitness goals, overcoming challenges and keeping accountable to each other every day. I love encouraging everyone in the group to keep pushing forward, but if it wasn't for them, I can't say I'd still be sticking with my own programs, week after week. I've been working out consistently for almost nine months now, and I have any intention of quitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment