Sunday, August 4, 2013

Enjoying the Great Outdoors

After getting myself back into shape this year, one thing I didn't expect was how much more fun I would have outside this summer. I love being outdoors, and this August has been spectacular for our holiday. Unlike many years, the temperature has been great, in the upper 80s every day, which is ideal for enjoying the water.

A couple of days ago, the kids and I took a big kayak and a paddleboard to a small beach up the creek. My daughter and I paddled the kayak, with the boys on the board. On the way back, we switched and I wound up on the paddleboard all the way home. If you've never ridden a paddleboard, it's great fun - standing above the water while rowing along gives a whole different perspective! It's also a fantastic workout - it improves balance, works the upper arms and shoulders and engages the core the entire time. If you have a chance, definitely give it a try!

Then yesterday, I took a kayak out by myself and headed up to the end of the creek. Now, I really like birdwatching, even though I don't get out to do it that often. I wound up spotting most of my favorite birds around here - a bald eagle, great blue herons, green herons, osprey and a kingfisher - like seeing the "big five" on a mini bird safari along the creek.

Today I'm going to embrace the day, being thankful for having the energy and stamina to enjoy myself with my family! I'm not sure what it will bring (but I suspect it may involve a kayak)...

No comments:

Post a Comment