Sunday, August 4, 2013

How not to eat right...

I haven't written about healthy eating and nutrition on this blog. I will at some point in the future, when I'm actually eating healthy. Right now, I'm on summer vacation ... enough said.

When I started Insanity back in March, I spent a lot of time looking at what (and how much) I was eating. I was absolutely floored by the number of calories that were crossing my lips, so I cut back my food intake significantly. I didn't diet - I don't believe in diets because that word implies a temporary solution, as if you could later go back to your old ways and all will be well. But I put a lot of thought into what I eat, adding in what is healthy and eliminating what is not. I also learned a great deal about which foods pack a ton of fat and calories.All in all, I've developed a healthy approach to eating and food selection.

Now, up to this past week I've been diligently applying this new approach. I plan accordingly if I occasionally want to treat myself, and it's gone very well. But now we're at the river. I'm eating a healthy breakfast and lunch, but then I have a beer (or two) in the afternoon, a bit of wine in the evening, then pulled pork, mac and cheese, crab dip (all homemade, of course!), and it's all really good. Basically, in the evenings I fall off the rails.

I've debated whether to feel guilty about this, and I've decided not to bother. I could choose to forego these things, but instead I've chosen to relax and enjoy. Instead of guilt, I realized that I've been maintaining my exercise program like a champ (Focus T25! I really like it), that we'll be here for less than two weeks, and that I'm staying active. Before I know it, summer will be over, then we will head off to the UK, and I will get myself back on track immediately. Untill that time, I'm going to enjoy my Northern Neck cuisine.

To justify all of this, I have a theory. It has absolutely no basis in scientific fact, but here it is: I've been at a plateau with my weight since early June. I only have 4-5 pounds to go, but they must enjoy my company. So, according to my theory, so long as I don't completely overdo, a few weeks of eating less than healthy foods (and in somewhat higher quantities) will prime my body to drop the additional weight once I restart my eating plan. Of course, this won't work if I pack on 10 pounds over the next two weeks, but so far I think I'm ok.

Come September, I promise to report back on whether this "theory" shows any promise... I hope so, because I really don't want to give up my crab dip altogether.

Happy summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment