Saturday, October 26, 2013

Finding your "Why"


In my last post I talked about why I don't look for day-to-day motivation when following a workout plan. I believe that if I'm fully committed to this lifestyle change, my workouts should simply be a part of my day, just like making dinner or finishing a project for work. But I think it's extremely important to identify your "why" - those factors have drive you to start (or continue) a healthy, active lifestyle.

In my own life, changes take hold most effectively when the desired change is incorporated into your sense of self and purpose. When something becomes a part of who you are, it's much harder to leave it at the doorstep. With this mindset, you're far less likely to abandon the change. 

This week I just started a new message board on the Team Beachbody website. Lots of people from my previous accountability group are taking part, along with a number of people just starting out on their fitness journey. So I've asked them - what is your "why"? What moment gave you the kick in the pants you needed to start, and what are your deeper reasons for wanting to make this change in your life? Defining your "why" is a first step to changing your self image and making fitness a permanent part of your life.

I have different "whys" - one was the kick that launched my fitness plan, while other underlying reasons will keep me going for the long term. In my case, a had a rude awakening back in February when I realized that my body image no longer matched the reality. I'd always though of myself as quite fit, and being 5'10" can hide a lot of sins. But I finally had to acknowledge that my clothes were just not fitting right, and that I was no longer in shape. When I saw that Insanity commercial, something told me to get that program. I deeply my body image match reality, so I pushed play every day and haven't stopped yet.

At this point, my weight loss is basically complete, and my "why" has changed. Along with a new and improved physique, my energy level is high, my lower back pain is gone, I feel strong and I'm more agile than I've felt in years. I want to keep this feeling for as long as I possibly can. I want to grow up to be an old woman - who can still chase after my grandkids at the playground. This is my "why", and I'm going to keep working for it as long as I'm able.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment