Friday, July 26, 2013

Engage the Core!!

FINDING YOUR CORE

The most important change I've seen in my body so far is an improvement  in core strength.  I've always known that the core is crucial to health and well-being, but I never really bothered to build up my own. Big mistake - it makes a real difference in how I feel, and  now for me, it's reason enough to keep working out every day..

For example, I used to run all the time. I was in good shape, but running was the only thing I did to stay fit. In 2005-2006 I finished two marathons and was running 25-40 miles a week, depending on my training plan. Then life happened, and over the next few years, I slowly lost interest in running on a regular basis. Then a few years ago, I started having pain in my lower back that flared up every time a ran.  It wasn't severe or debilitating, but after every run I'd wind up with cramped muscles over the right side of my lower back. It never occurred to me that the problem was my core (or lack thereof).

Then back in February I looked in the mirror and realized that I'd let things go too far. I was barely working out and it showed.  On a whim I ordered Insanity, doubting I would even be able to handle it since a three mile run was still putting knots in my back.

Surprisingly, I could do the Insanity workouts without winding up in traction. Maybe its because the moves are constantly changing, as opposed to the repetitive motion of running. But there was a problem - when Shaun T said to "engage the core", I had no idea what he was talking about. My abs were so out of shape I could barely feel them. Through squats, planks, push-ups, floor sprints and all the rest, I tried to engage the core, but all I managed to do was suck in my stomach (which ain't it).

Then, one day, about three weeks in, I felt it. First in my obliques (the muscles that run up the sides of the abdomen), then gradually across my upper and lower abs. I had finally figured out what to do, and it made a real difference in my workouts.

HOW TO ENGAGE THE CORE

Contrary to what a lot of people think, engaging the core doesn't involve sucking in your stomach at all. When I engage my core during a workout, I first check my posture and make sure my hips are properly aligned. Then I gently contract the muscles across my lower abdomen, then focus on adding a gentle contraction of my oblique muscles. When I do this, I also feel my back muscles engage. At this point I feel like I have a solid "core" of support surrounding my abdomen and spine, which feels great.

It takes practice and hard work, but building core muscle should be a key part of any fitness regimen!

No comments:

Post a Comment